FlyFarm is an agri-tech start-up with operations in Hong Kong, and Australia – active in the fast growing sustainable protein space and is currently looking for a highly talented, highly ambitious industrial engineer to join us in Hong Kong – to help design, build and maintain automated farming technologies. If you are an imaginative engineer with a strong sense of drive who loves solving engineering challenges and who wants to join a fast growing start-up – then this opportunity is for you.
FlyFarm is developing processes and technology to power high-tech insect breeding facilities. Our goal is to upcycle food waste into high grade insect protein and oil for use in animal feeds and pet food (displacing unsustainable fish meal caught in the oceans). Combining Robotics, IoT and cloud technologies, FlyFarm is working hard to meet the challenges of developing a network of highly automated farms across APAC.
The mechanical engineer works in a multidisciplinary tech team that drives the automation and designs the mechanical aspects of our insect farming production processes. We are looking for a passionate and hands-on person with a can-do attitude who is excited by the prospect of taking the automation and mechanical processes of a high tech insect farm to the next level.
- Work with and provide leadership to project team members to solve difficult mechanical engineering and equipment related problems, resolve project related issues, and develop basic understanding of process and equipment design requirements.
- Develop proof of concept and prototype testing to validate design concepts.
- Define and document machine design specifications, develop mechanical design concepts, design and follow construction of equipment, and make appropriate engineering recommendations.
- Leverage use of external machine builders and suppliers to specify and successfully deliver a project on-time, on-budget, and satisfy the process performance measures.
- Coordinate and lead multi-discipline project activities, estimate time required to accomplish tasks, monitor performance against project schedules, and track expenditures against allocated funds.
- Coordinate and direct all engineering and trades activities during installation of machine systems and services.
- Actively participate in system integration, debug, and start-up.
- Based on feedback from operations teams, evaluate existing processes, equipment and technologies on their performance and recommend areas for improvement
- Report on project activities, status, and issues on a periodic basis to project & department leadership.
- Mechanical / Industrial Engineering Degree
- CAD software skills (Solidworks, Fusion, Autocad Inventor, or Similar)
- Good English and Chinese-Mandarin preferred
- Able to travel frequently
- Fundamental understanding of mechanical design practices, equipment fabrication and assembly, and mechanical systems troubleshooting.
- Ability to use experimentation to develop basic process knowledge, design prototype test systems, and perform proof of principle testing to validate design approach.
- Ability to effectively leverage and manage external machine builders and system integrators for detail design, build, and integration of later stages of machine system implementation.
- High level thinker capable of seeing how different systems and processes interact
- Ability to work in a team-based start-up environment
- Self-starter who is able to satisfy their objectives and timelines with a minimal amount of supervision.
- Sound problem solving and decision making processes and skills.
- Highly motivated, results oriented, with a high commitment level.